The importance of testing your alarm system
Periodic testing of your alarm system is essential to ensure proper function. You should test your system monthly. Be sure to notify the Central Monitoring Station prior to testing.
How to test your system
There are two types of tests to perform: testing signals within your home or business and testing the signals from your location to the monitoring center. The procedures vary slightly depending on the manufacturer of the system.
Testing the operation of all door and window contacts, and motion detectors
- Verify that the system is in “READY” mode. Do not arm the system!
- Open each protected door or window, one at a time.
- Check that the keypad displays the door or window that you are testing is open.
- Close the respective door or window. The keypad should display ready when finished.
- Repeat this procedure for each sensor in the system.
Testing the signal transmission to the Central Monitoring Station
- Call the monitoring station and ask that your system be placed in “test” mode. Be prepared to provide the operator with your account number and password.
- Arm your system as usual and set it off by opening a door or window, or by tripping a motion detector. Allow the siren to sound for at least thirty seconds.
- Disarm your system.
- Call the Central Monitoring Station and verify the signals were received and then take your system off of “Test”.